db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <skam...@Yngvi.Org>
Subject Re: Transaction Locking
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:07:08 GMT
Sean McCully wrote:

>I am getting the following exception when I try to
>drop a table with AutoCommit off using
>PreparedStatements and executeUpdate();
>Is this a derby problem? Cloudscape? or should I use
>another method to execute Drops?
>
>SQL Exception: A lock could not be obtained within the
>time requested

The lock timeout message suggests that the transaction is not able to
get the  necessary locks for executing the drop table.  This can be, if
there is another  transaction in the system holding conficting locks on
the same table.
Can you check and see if that is the case.

For debugging purposes, setting derby.locks.deadlockTrace=true will
write a detailed list of locks at the time of the timeout to be written
into derby.log.
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/tuning/perf79.html#IDX545

This link talks about  types and scope of locks in derby -
(http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/develop/develop74.html#IDX696)

Sunitha.