db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <s-hutin...@wiu.edu>
Subject Re: Derby documentation in XML DITA
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:38:59 GMT
Jeff Levitt wrote:

>--- "Jean T. Anderson" <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>

>>The number of source files actually goes up for
>>dita. For example, the
>>Getting Started guide currently has 27 files, which
>>increases to 34 dita
>>files -- and it makes sense that this would happen
>>since there is one
>>topic per file. The situation would improve for dita
>>because there would
>>be fewer files on output -- unless somebody wanted
>>one built file per
>>topic, which I think is unlikely.
>>

>Actually Jean, there may be more cases of people
>transforming to one file per topic than most people
>think.  If you build an infocenter motif, basically a
>framed help site with the nav tree on the left and
>content on the right, most likely that is how you
>would do it.  And the other docs will increase in
>number of files way more than the Getting Started
>Guide.  The reference manual will be divided by
>functions, procedures, etc. for example.  Hundreds of
>files.  Scott, does building a plugin for Forrest in
>0.7 get around this huge time lag in rebuilding each
>time with a bunch of files?

I haven't followed that entire thread, nor can I find that thread
currently.  But, a log plugin; which I think? followes which files have
changed, has been developed using java.util.logging.  I think it allows
forrest to know which files have changed but I think it runs on a
dynamic site, and I am uncertain if the loging plugin is hooked into
forrest for this yet.

I will keep my eyes on that and research it a bit.

Also, I am uncertain about the release date of 0.7.  I think Jean has
the docs up to spec for 0.6, which I think is needed for 0.7.  Cocoon
had a problem creating some graphic files which would create errors in
site logs, that was fixed in cocoon, but I don't know if forrest updated
cocoon with 6.0 after the release.  I can look into that on monday.

scott