db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Derby documentation in XML DITA
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:39:00 GMT
scott hutinger wrote:

> First, I think the DITA.dtd files are needed to do any
> transformation.  These files are currently at ../ which means they are
> missing.  I downloaded the DITA.dtd's from IBM's website.  Forrest has
> a really nice architecture currently in the 0.7-dev only code base
> which allows the use of plug-ins.  The

We had been talking about upgrading the derby web site from 0.5 to 0.6.
Should we think in terms of skipping 0.6 and going directly to 0.7?

> ...  But the important thing is how to transform DITA.  One could
> control the output into html, or one could transform to forrest xdoc
> format.  I would prefer to output to xdoc format to stay within the
> forrest model.  Any ideas about this?

One issue I have with the current set up is 700+ source ihtml files for
the manuals result in 700+ built html files, and any minor change to the
web site, for example to add Jeff's dita zip file :-), results in
rebuilding/recopying *all* files for the web site.

A couple months ago I checked to see if there was a way to tell the
'forrest site' command to do just a partial build -- and I didn't spot a
way, but I was only looking at 0.5. Do you know if there's a way? For
example, if I know that only two source files have changed, is there a
way to tell forrest to process just those two files? (All bets are off,
of course, if the site.xml or tabs.xml file changes.)

The number of source files actually goes up for dita. For example, the
Getting Started guide currently has 27 files, which increases to 34 dita
files -- and it makes sense that this would happen since there is one
topic per file. The situation would improve for dita because there would
be fewer files on output -- unless somebody wanted one built file per
topic, which I think is unlikely. But I'm still concerned that any
change to the web site requires rebuilding all files.

Or might it make sense to have a separate forrest tree for just the
Derby manuals? Then copy the result of that build into the web site tree?

 -jean