db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Levitt <jlev...@mutagen.net>
Subject Re: Derby documentation in XML DITA
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:26:21 GMT

> Just out of curiosity, can Eclipse's help system
> package use Apache
> Xalan (the cocoon default)? or does it require
> Saxon?
>
>  -jean

You just need anything that can build xhtml and an xml
nav tree.  I dont know anything about Xalan, but if it
can accomplish that like Saxon does, then its fine.

Incidentally, I'm working on creating a process for
anyone to download Eclipse and use it as a help system
on their local machines or with a web server to
display the Derby docs online.

I found an IBM implementation of the Eclipse workbench
that has been stripped down to the minimum for Help
Systems by the Websphere developers, and includes the
proper jre.  Much smaller than the full download, but
it does require a license, so I'm not sure if we can
use that legally.  Does anyone know?  If not, we can
always recreate it ourselves by downloading the full
Eclipse and stripping it down, but I had more success
using the Websphere implementation, since it already
included the jre.  I'm not a developer, and I know
very little about java, so I wasnt able to set up my
environment correctly without the included jre.  I'm
sure most of you would not have a problem with
that...:)

Anyways, you'll find the Websphere implementation at:

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/preconfig.jsp?id=2003-12-15+11%3A44%3A17.805174R&S_TACT=104CBW71&S_CMP=&s=

The license is displayed when you try to download it.

Once you have it on your Windows-based machine, all
you need to do to run the help system is run the
"WebSphere help start.bat" file, which will hang for a
second and then launch your browser.  Dont forget to
run the end bat file after use to end the process.

Once you set that up and confirm its working, its a
simple matter of installing the Derby doc plugin.
I've already done that, but I'll need some more time
to document the process.  Once I'm finished, I'll post
it here.

Jeff