db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Thoughts on the Derby Developer Community
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:38:46 GMT
> > I had another possible thought.  Could we consider doing a bi-weekly
> > call where we discuss some component of the Derby architecture?
> > This might be a way to get folks up to speed a bit quicker as well.

> I think I am going to take this suggestion back.  A friend of mine
> who has worked on open source  projects for a long time reminded
> me that this is not the norm for open source projects for a variety
> of very valid reasons.

Actually, there is a monthly thing (First Friday, IIRC) that Cocoon does for
bug fixing.

I am wary of IRC for development, but this might be an interesting approach,
and could be worth a shot.  I would suggest that THIS type of session be
logged (with a reminder when starting the session), the log posted to the
mailing list, and further follow-up discussion occur on the mailing list, so
as not to exclude people who are not able to participate on the IRC.

I would certainly caution against creating a culture where development
discussion habitually happens on IRC.  In my view, that is detrimental to
community building.

	--- Noel