db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: JSR169 support status?
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:10:58 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Rather than a feature, it's Derby's support for that environment.
>
> Today Derby supports from a single jar
>
> J2SE 1.3 - requires JDK 1.3 to build
> J2SE 1.4 - requires JDK 1.4 to build
> J2SE 5.0 - runs in, doesn't yet take advantage of any J2SE 5.0 feature
>            (except through reflection for BigDecimal.toPlainString)
>

> Continuing that forward, I imagine in the future Derby will support from
> a single jar
>
> J2ME/CDC/Foundation/JSR169 - requires foundation and JSR169 jars to build
> J2SE 1.3 - requires JDK 1.3 to build
> J2SE 1.4 - requires JDK 1.4 to build
> J2SE 5.0 - requires JDK 1.5 to build
>            (takes advantage of J2SE 5.0 features)

Why the preference for a single jar(with lots of switching code inside)
rather than different jars for different platform levels?

I would have thought for the ME platform the desire would be for as
small a footprint as possible so eliminating all the non-169 code would
be a benefit. At the other end, the 1.5 build could be optimized for
that platform with features not in others (e.g. StringBuilder, atomics,
...) - plus no need to use reflection for toPlainString() :-)

--
Jeremy