db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Klebanoff <kleba...@Mutagen.Net>
Subject Re: Should patches also update functional tests?
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 02:41:10 GMT
A good test suite is invaluable. It is very important that it be kept
working.  Then when one makes a code change that causes a test to fail
you can be fairly sure that your change broke something. You can fix it
before the change is submitted, keeping Derby's quality up. If the test
suite is weak or if it shows failures then Derby's quality will
deteriorate. It will be very hard to get it back up.

I think that we should never accept a patch that breaks a test. If the
test is in error then the patch should include a fix for the test.

We should strongly encourage all patches to include tests. A committer
should think twice, or three times, before committing a patch without tests.

Jack