db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From myrnap <my...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [WEB] What's the best way to link to build and test instructions?
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:45:20 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>The derby web site downloads page at
>http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html links to a local
>web site copy of the BUILDING.txt build instructions (see
>http://incubator.apache.org/derby/BUILDING.html) .
>
>--I did it this way initially because it was fast and easy and I didn't
>know how to link to it directly. However, it does mean that the local
>web site copy can get out of sync with the real file.
>
>And I'm now looking at putting test instructions on the web site that
>are in derby/code/trunk/java/testing/README.htm .
>
>Does anyone know of a reason I should not link from the web site to the
>build and test instructions with the URLs below?
>
>https://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.txt
>https://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/derby/code/trunk/java/testing/README.htm
>
>Or is there a better way to link?
>
>The only disadvantage I see is that the resulting page is not integrated
>with the derby web site itself (doesn't have the forrest-generated
>navigation). The advantage I see is instructions will always be current.
>
>comments? preferences?
>
>thanks,
>
> -jean

If you can link directly, it would save some head-aches; 1. no extra
step to keep the 2 in sync - as you said; 2. the document doesn't have
to do the magic to circumvent forrest's efforts of removing internal
anchors (don't know if that's a bug or intentional, but it sure is no
fun), or putting up its own contents section...
just my 2 cents...