db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject [WEB] What's the best way to link to build and test instructions?
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:23:44 GMT
The derby web site downloads page at
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html links to a local
web site copy of the BUILDING.txt build instructions (see
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/BUILDING.html) .

--I did it this way initially because it was fast and easy and I didn't
know how to link to it directly. However, it does mean that the local
web site copy can get out of sync with the real file.

And I'm now looking at putting test instructions on the web site that
are in derby/code/trunk/java/testing/README.htm .

Does anyone know of a reason I should not link from the web site to the
build and test instructions with the URLs below?

https://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.txt
https://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/derby/code/trunk/java/testing/README.htm

Or is there a better way to link?

The only disadvantage I see is that the resulting page is not integrated
with the derby web site itself (doesn't have the forrest-generated
navigation). The advantage I see is instructions will always be current.

comments? preferences?

thanks,

 -jean