db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Is Monitor a public API? Can it be hooked to JMX?
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:51:10 GMT
The way we have currently embedded Derby into Geronimo is a little crude
and relies on a GBean (Geronimo component) starting Derby by
instantiating an EmbeddedDriver.

I started digging around looking for a better way and see that the
driver is really booting a set of services using the Monitor API. It
looks like it would be possible to integrate this directly into Geronimo
and have it control the server directly rather than through JDBC. The
big concern I have is whether this is an API intended for external use?

Another reason for doing this is to try and integrate Derby services
into the management framework Geronimo exposes. It looks like it would
be possible to wrap some of the Derby services themselves in GBeans
which would then transparently expose them to management (e.g. via JMX
or Geronimo's console).

--
Jeremy