db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Hlavatý <hla...@code.cz>
Subject Re: Extra notes on running tests
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:39:25 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
 This means that the classpath *must* be set in the
> environment  and exported, like
>
> export CLASSPATH="$jardir/derby.jar:$jardir/derbytools.jar: \
> $jardir/derbyTesting.jar:/local/derby/tools/java/jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar"

I suggeest we take the same approach I created for Jetty -
have a launcher class that sets up the required classpath
by setting up a classloader. This moves the problem of creating
classpaths from platform specific domain to Java domain, which is
portable.
Makes managing classpath so much easier, and you can even include
different classpath components based on the running environment
(Java version, classes available on system classpath/ext, etc.).
What do you think?

Jan