db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonas S Karlsson" <...@yesco.org>
Subject Re: Hints
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:08:03 GMT

Mirit Naim wrote:
>I have a question regarding hints in derby.
>I'm trying to run a simple query such as:
>select col from tab where othercol=1;
>with hints:
>
>select col from tab
>PROPERTIES index=<index name>
>where othercol=1;
>
>no matter how I put it I get syntax error on "PROPERTIES".

The PROPERTIES keyword and optimizer hints have been removed
from Cloudscape before the code was contributed to Derby.
I'm not sure where you've found the PROPERTIES keyword, but
as far as I can tell it is no longer part of the manual.

The reason it was removed is because the syntax is non-standard SQL.

Any suggestion of any standard way to allow such properties to be
given to a query could be of interest.

Do you have a specific query that is causing problems?

I'm looking into an issue where the optimization time is really high
and will be investigating the operations of the optimizer...

/Jonas