db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:30:06 GMT

On Oct 4, 2004, at 10:46 AM, Kathy Saunders wrote:

> I just wanted to let everyone know that the JDBC driver for the
> network server mode has been refreshed at
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/downloads/jcc/.  The only change
> is that the license now allows redistribution of the driver.

I'm sort of missing that.

I followed the link, went to

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/preconfig.jsp?id=2004-08
-03+09%3A06%3A46.338402R&S_TACT=104AH%20W42&S_CMP=&s=

said I wasn't registered, and saw a license that contained terms like

"Redistribution Information

If You have developed an application that is dependent upon the files
or modules listed below or located in the directory named below, You
may distribute these files or modules, subject to the following terms:
1) The files or modules must be in object code.
2) You will indemnify IBM or third parties that provide IBM products
("Third Parties") from and against any third party claim arising out of
the use or distribution of Your application.
3) You may not use the same path name as the original files/modules.
4) You may not use IBM's or Third Parties' names or trademarks in
connection with the marketing of Your applications without IBM's or
Third Parties' prior written consent.
5) IBM or Third Parties provide copies of these files or modules "AS
IS," i.e., You are responsible for all technical assistance for Your
application.
6) In Your license agreement with the recipient, You will notify the
recipient that these files or modules may not be 1) used for any
purpose other than to enable the application, 2) copied (except for
backup purposes), 3) further distributed, or 4) reverse assembled,
reverse compiled, or otherwise translated.
"

There's no chance that we'll indemnify IBM, and for #6, part 3, if they
are placed in CVS, that is a distribution that is not part of the
application, in which case we are violating the license.

We have the same problem with stuff from Sun, and therefore don't have
those jars in ASF source control systems....

geir

geirm@apache.org