db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 04:25:02 GMT

On Oct 4, 2004, at 8:13 PM, Dick Applebaum wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Apache can include the driver in the Derby distrobution (I believe
>>> there are some license requirements to do so.  If the Derby
>>> community wants to do that,  it should be OK.    I don't know what
>>> Apache's general policy is on inlcuding non-open source in one if
>>> its releases.  I do know that Apache often points to other sites to
>>> obtain free software.
>>>

>> Why don't you release a OSS version of a driver for derby, or have
>> the community develop one...
>>

> Do We really want another driver?

No, but we really want another license.  I'd bet we could get a driver
written faster than IBM would take to donate to the ASF, or relicense
under terms that the ASF would accept to keep the jar here in SVN.

> Some how, Macromedia is able to redistro a DB2 (Cloudscape/Derby)
> driver with ColdFusion MX -- why can't Apache.org.

One is a commercial entity that's packaging the driver w/ a product,
and the other is an OSS organization that by keeping the jar in SVN
would be violating the terms of the IBM license, or by distributing in
a derby release would be violating the ASFs policy of not releasing
code that has license terms more restrictive than the Apache License.

> It would seem to be in the best interests of Apache.org, IBM and
> potential users.

I agree.  It's up to the ASF and users to lobby IBM to do the Right
Thing (tm)(sm)(R)

geir

geirm@apache.org