db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dick Applebaum <dicklac...@mac.com>
Subject Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:13:27 GMT

On Oct 4, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2004, at 1:35 PM, Kathy Saunders wrote:
>
>> Dick Applebaum wrote:
>>
>>> Does this mean that Apache can/will include the driver in the Derby
>>> distro --kind of a pita to have to go 2 places to assemble a
>>> runnable Derby
>>>
>>> Dick
>>>
>> Apache can include the driver in the Derby distrobution (I believe
>> there are some license requirements to do so.  If the Derby community
>> wants to do that,  it should be OK.    I don't know what Apache's
>> general policy is on inlcuding non-open source in one if its
>> releases.  I do know that Apache often points to other sites to
>> obtain free software.
>>

> Why don't you release a OSS version of a driver for derby, or have the
> community develop one...

Do We really want another driver?

Some how, Macromedia is able to redistro a DB2 (Cloudscape/Derby)
driver with ColdFusion MX -- why can't Apache.org.

It would seem to be in the best interests of Apache.org, IBM and
potential users.

Dick

> geir
>

>> Kathy
>>
> --
> geirm@apache.org

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think “I know, I’ll use
  regular expressions”. Now they have two problems.
--Jamie Zawinski, on comp.lang.emacs