db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Samuel Andrew McIntyre <fuzzylo...@nonintuitive.com>
Subject Re: release status as of 9/12/2004
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:52:21 GMT

On Oct 12, 2004, at 5:12 AM, Dick Applebaum wrote:

> 1) How do you plan to resolve the issue with OS X?

I like Dan's suggestion in the last paragraph here, by turning the
feature on only if we know we're running a JVM by a vendor where it has
been certified to work:

Mike and/or Suresh would have a better idea than I where it would be
appropriate to put such a check.

> 2) Do you plan on including IBM's DB/2 driver & license in the
> package? -- it makes it much easier to install!

I'm not sure that we can do that. I agree that it would definitely
simplify getting up and running with Network Server, but I had thought
that Apache had a policy of not redistributing libraries with a license
more restrictive than the ASL.

> I and some others are going to release some self-contained,
> pre-installed, double-clickable application packages (desktop, web and
> combo) that will include a redistro of Derby, Jetty, and some j2ee
> apps.

As long as the license for the DB2 JDBC driver allows for
redistribution, it shouldn't be a problem to include it in your
package. I just don't know if we can include it in ours due to the
Apache guidelines. I would love to hear from someone more familiar with
the issue.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)

View raw message