db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: multiple systems in same VM?
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:03:16 GMT
On Oct 7, 2004, at 5:33 AM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Khin, Gerald wrote:
>
>> The only resort I come up with is that a well behaving library, that
>> wants to use embedded Derby, must not try to hide its usage, or has to
>> do some classloader things. I think, the most convenient solution from
>> the Derby using developers point of view would be if Derby would
>> provide
>> a concept that extends its current system concept to support multiple
>> systems.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by multiple systems. Can you
> give examples of the benefits of this? E.g. if app1 is using db1 and
> app2 is using db2 then what would be gained with two Derby systems over
> the single one that is supported today?

You see this in large production environments.  A good example is an
ISP which offers web application hosting.  There may be dozens of
applications, each with a different database.  In this case the
customers of the ISP would not know who else is running on the server
and would not coordinate with each other.  You also see this type of
non-cooperation in large portal installations.  This trend to
non-cooperating applications will only increase as JSR 168 (the portlet
spec) rolls out.

-dain