db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dick Applebaum <dicklac...@mac.com>
Subject Re: release status as of 9/12/2004
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:16:03 GMT

On Oct 12, 2004, at 2:29 PM, Samuel Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2004, at 1:12 PM, Dick Applebaum wrote:
>
>> How about just doing a try/catch at start and turning the feature off
>> if you get an error?
>
> I thought about that, but it wouldn't handle a case where rws mode
> doesn't throw any errors, but doesn't do what we need it to w/r/t
> flushing files to disk, which is why some people objected to changing
> from using rws mode to rwd mode. It would be safer to enable it only
> on JVMs whose rws mode has been certified through testing to work as
> expected.
>
> andrew

Ahh... I agree.

But how about specifying proven JVMs in an external file ala the
derby.properties -- so that a user could update  his system without a
complete reinstall, or more procedurally correct: by downloading the
latest provenJVM.properties file.

BTW, are there future plans to have most parameter specifications like
this in external XML file, so that:

1) all configuration parameters are defined and specified in one place
2) they can be easily read/modified by Derby and external
programs/people
3) they could include DERBY_HOME, PATH, CLASSPATH parameters to drive
the scripts

This XML file would exist, by definition, in the same directory as the
start/stop scripts and therefore the derby install location-independent
-- you could copy an installed Derby directory structure to another
drive or Burn to CD and it would run without change.

This is one thing I really about some open-source software packages

Dick