db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Derby vs Cloudscape Features
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:31:15 GMT
Rick Strong wrote:

> I've been using Cloudscape since 1997 and have found it very useful. I
> was happy to see that it would become an Apache project, but I noticed
> that an IBM announcement mentioned that features not compatible with
> DB2 would be pulled so as to make a hypothetical transition from Derby
> to DB2 smoother.
>
> One of Cloudscape's unusual features was the ability to store/retrieve
> an instance of a Java object directly, and the ability to query the
> object's getters in place in the DB without having to drag the whole
> thing back into the program for inspection. Very handy! Does this
> feature disappear in Derby?

The "Migrating databases to IBM Cloudscape Version 10.0" at IBM lists
changes between Cloudscape 5.1 and Derby:

http://www.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/pubs/cloudscape10-migrate.html

To answer your direct question, Java data types and static method calls
to dbclasses drops out. I think this is what you're talking about, but
I'm new myself and have little experience with the earlier CS releases.
Nobody should hesitate to dive in and correct/clarify anything I say.

Derby now supports SQL functions and stored procedures implemented in Java.

The To Do list at http://incubator.apache.org/derby/DerbyToDo.html has
helpful mail list pointers to feature topics, including one on
supporting user defined types.

I hope this helps.

regards

 -jean