db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Strong <rstr...@panix.com>
Subject Derby vs Cloudscape Features
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:21:39 GMT
I've been using Cloudscape since 1997 and have found it very useful. I
was happy to see that it would become an Apache project, but I noticed
that an IBM announcement mentioned that features not compatible with DB2
would be pulled so as to make a hypothetical transition from Derby to
DB2 smoother.

One of Cloudscape's unusual features was the ability to store/retrieve
an instance of a Java object directly, and the ability to query the
object's getters in place in the DB without having to drag the whole
thing back into the program for inspection. Very handy! Does this
feature disappear in Derby?

Thanks,

Rick Strong