db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Hlavatý <hla...@code.cz>
Subject Re: Help detecting client disconnects for network server
Date Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:44:23 GMT
Samuel Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> Is it really necessary to reinvent keep-alive at a higher level? Why not
> just decide that 'X' (m)secs without response indicates that a failure
> has occurred of enough significance to cancel a pending transaction? And
> if the value of 'X' is variable, that the application developer writing
> the client/server application can decide what the appropriate value of
> 'X' should be?

Well, there alre legal reasons why client wouldnt talk for a long time.
For example, having a connection pool, and web application not being accessed too much.
These "legal" states are usually when no transaction is active on connection -
maybe we could modify the timeouts to reflect that (allow client to keep quiet when no transaction
is active for indefinite time, while be more aggressive in checking clients presence/timeouts
when
transaction is active and resources are being held by it.

Jan