db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Derby documentation in PDF format
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:41:30 GMT
Jonas S Karlsson wrote:

>I'm not sure what is a "page" in Forest, but it seems to me that to
>determine what should be a "webpage" should be definable and should
>not be limited by the markup language.

A "file" is the logical unit Forrest works with. Forrest reads input
files in various formats, then outputs them to the built site. For all
about Forrest, see http://forrest.apache.org.

The IBM docs person generated html for each Cloudscape manual, with
multiple files per manual, and did a first pass at modifying them to
reflect the Derby name and to modify them so Forrest could ingest them.
If I remember right, there are roughly 700 src files. Forrest ingests
those files, adds the site navigation, and outputs the built files.

>I'd expect to find for each manual the following options:
>- one webpage per manual containing the complete manual (for download/searching)

No; many files were generated per manual.

>- a PDF-file per manual

Not per manual, no; but Forrest does support generating a PDF file for
each web page (file). These would be expensive to build with so many files.

>- a set of webpages, similarly to what we  have now, but with one page
>  per chapter, but not like this:
>
>   http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/reference/sqlj09.html#HDRSII-SQLJ-18919
>
>  This is a page I find utterly useless <jta snipped>

I agree this isn't optimal. And generating a PDF file for it probably
wouldn't make sense.

Another issue that crops up when there are this many files is it takes a
while to generate the web site. Right now, with PDF generation off, it
takes about 20 minutes to build the site on my Gentoo linux box. It
takes about 40 minutes on a Solaris sparc machine available to me for
testing. It was for this reason that I suggested testing new pages on a
seed site on http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/derby_web.html.

>I hope that these are not limitations of Forest, because now I can't
>see the trees because of the Forest.

No, it isn't a Forrest limitation.

It's possible that if we invest more time looking into Forrest (and
Cocoon) we might find ways to improve the existing setup.

 -jean