db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Derby documentation in PDF format
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:30:31 GMT
Joel Rosi-Schwartz wrote:

>I personally found the PDF document set that was available for Cloudscape 10
>beta to be very useful. I am hopeful that this packaging of the documentation
>will be carried forward into Derby. Has there been any consideration toward
>providing this?

Each manual on the Derby site
(http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html) is composed of
multiple pages. Forrest can generate PDFs for each linked page on the
site -- that feature is controlled by a setting in the skinconf.xml file:

  <!-- Do we want to disable the PDF link? -->
  <disable-pdf-link>true</disable-pdf-link>

However, enabling/disabling PDF generation is an "all or nothing" deal
(see
http://issues.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=user@forrest.apache.org&by=subject&from=648189&to=648189&first=1&count=7).

To be honest, I did enable PDF generation initially for the Derby site,
but it resulted in a PDF file per web page and I thought that was quite
a bit less than optimal. If anybody wants to see what that looks like,
forrest steps are outlined in
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/derby_web.html . You could
check out the derby site, locally change the PDF flag to false in the
skinconf.xml and rebuild ('forrest site').

Another option might be to consolidate the pages for each manual back
into a single page, or into a smaller number of pages.

 -jean