db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonas S Karlsson" <...@yesco.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Change Copyright notice to ASF
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 00:47:03 GMT

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Maybe the exact form doesn't matter, maybe it does?
> Can someone re-format an existing copyright notice to their own style?

I don't think the *style* of a copyright notice is what makes it legally
binding. I see it mostly as information/reminder.

In my opinion this should suffice:
- IBM will have copyright notice in the files contributed to ASF by IBM.
- The format of the copyright notice is as suggested by ASF for contributed code.

This should keep "IBM" happy as it preserves the copyright ownership for IBM,
as well as follows "ASF" guidlines about copyright notices.

Thus I vote for Option 1:
(i.e. that we should use the apache format of the copyright notice)

+1

(however I'd like to keep the apache on top, since it will have later
years and will be updated "frequently", and it is the most relevant
one)

like:

/*
 *
 * Copyright  2004 The Apache Software Foundation.
 * Copyright  CCCC-YYYY IBM Corp.
 *

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> aaaand.. the answer is: replace the ibm notices with asf ones.

Well, since I'm not really a rodent, and some very large animals are
involved, I'll decline to comment on that. However, it makes me think
of a story of a mouse and an elephant, pick your favourite one...

/Jonas