db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Derby code copyright question
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:26:26 GMT
OK, I've subscribed to this list for a bit ...

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > The files should all have the AL v2.  The license file
> > provided includes the copyright.  Any other notices, such
> > as historical credits, go into the NOTICE file.

> What does 'The licence file provided includes the copyright.' mean?

Sorry for not being clear.  http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html and
the license, itself, provide an appendix containing the copyright notice to
be placed in each file.  Every source file should have that copyright notice
placed at the top.  As Ken explained in
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=derby-dev@db.apache.org&
msgNo=362, the copyright holder would be The Apache Software Foundation,
having received a copyright grant from IBM.  The purpose for having the
copyright holder pluggable is to allow other entities to re-use the Apache
License.

Sam is correct that in the past, with AL v1.1, we had such things as:

  /*
   * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
   * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation and was
   * originally based on software copyright (c) 1999, International
   * Business Machines, Inc., http://www.apache.org.  For more
   * information on the Apache Software Foundation, please see
   * <http://www.apache.org/>.
   */

and

 /* ...
  * Portions of this software are based upon public domain software
  * originally written at the National Center for Supercomputing
  * Applications, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
  */

appended to the license, which was placed in each source file.  With AL v2,
those are not lost, but they go into the NOTICE file.  See
http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt for an example.

Hope that helps.  :-)

	--- Noel