db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Branching for stable releases?
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:04:49 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> The Apache DB guidelines has this section on branches

> I read that to mean that the branch only exists during the
> release process. I'm not sure that this works well for Derby.

I'm not sure that it works well, period.  For example, a developer who is
going down an experimental development path can maintain a branch in SVN,
rather than (as we've often seen in the past), work in isolation, and only
check in when finished.

It makes sense to create a branch when doing a release, so that you can
manage what will be in that branch without impacting trunk development.  And
when you're done, you can copy the branch as a tag, thus fixing in time the
release, as well as leaving in place a branch for maintenance.

I have no idea what the DB PMC had in mind, but you can ask them.  They are
part of your Derby PPMC, since they are sponsoring the project.  The Derby
PPMC can make the decision as to how to manage the code.

	--- Noel