db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Derby embedded in Geronimo
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 20:11:07 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> If things work out well and there are no objections I plan
> to switch away from Axion as our default embedded database.

Obvious question would be why.  Seems as if there are some technical
reasons.  As I understand them, totally hearsay, they are:

  Axion: faster startup time,
         great for unit testing
         each transaction has its own copy of data
         Oracle compatible SQL dialect (sequences, etc.)
         ~400K

  Derby: XA support
         multiple concurrent users
         transactions use locking
         DB2 compatible SQL dialect
         ~3MB

Is that correct?  Anything else?  Both are good, but with some differences,
so it might be helpful to have a comparison matrix if there are knowledgable
people who would contribute to it.

	--- Noel