db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Derby code copyright question
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:59:26 GMT
On Sep 15, 2004, at 2:55 PM, Jennifer B Machovec wrote:
> I think the short-term (and maybe even long-term) resolution to the
> copyright notice issue may be having the ASF copyright notice in each
> main
> file clearly apply to the whole project.  This could read, for example:
> "Apache Derby is (c) Copyright The Apache Software Foundation 2004. All
> rights reserved. "  Then there's no implication of copyright ownership
> of
> individual components.  The third-party copyright attributions can be
> included in the NOTICE file.

We need to limit NOTICE to acknowledging major contributions and
fulfilling the advertising clause of third-party code.  It would
be a disaster if everyone with a copyright wanted to be in there.

> As Roy notes, if any contributor has
> included copyright attributions in a main file, and you don't want to
> retain those notices in that location for policy reasons, then ASF
> needs
> to ask the contributor/copyright owner to either remove them or
> authorize
> ASF to do so on their behalf.

Larry Rosen (I mentioned the wrong Larry in the previous note)
suggested that we place something like

      Collective work Copyright 2004 The Apache Software Foundation.
      [AL 2.0 Template]

      Derivative work Copyright 2004 Some Other Contributor.
     Licensed to the ASF under a contributor agreement.

     Copyright 2004 Contributor Company, Inc.
     Licensed to the ASF under a contributor agreement.

The alternative being that we start asking for copyright assignments.

BTW, I don't claim that my workaround of having the copyright owner
change the copyright notice to the ASF is necessarily the right
solution; it just happens to be the one we've used in the past
and actually predates forming the ASF as a legal entity.

....Roy