db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby code copyright question
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:47:48 GMT

On Sep 26, 2004, at 2:58 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> W/o transfer of copyright to the ASF, we'd simply be redistributing
>> IBMs copyrighted work. I can certainly see the argument that it isn't
>> so bad, as the software is under the AL2, but this is a departure
>> from how we historically operate, or so we believed.
>
> I can't speak to your beliefs, but to date all software grants to date
> have merely been merely non-exclusive licenses.  Check out Roy's post
> to board@ on 9/23/2004 on this matter, with a subject line of "Re:
> Copyright attributions in software-granted works".

It's certainly true, and I think that this isn't compatible in what we
thought we've been doing for 9.5 years.  As Roy said :

"[which was news to me, given that we've been doing the single
copyright thing for 9.5 years now and nobody mentioned it before]."

So we've been doing it wrong, and here's the chance to do it right.

> If the code were to remain 100% IBM, then Derby certainly does not
> belong at the ASF.  If/when a diverse community of contributors are
> established, then having the ASF distribute the collective works of a
> set of contributors, each having provided an explicit license to for
> the ASF to do so, is EXACTLY how the ASF has operated.

Sure - right now, it's 100% IBM until people start contributing.   IBM
can fix that right now by just assigning copyright.  I'm having trouble
understanding why a community member such as IBM with such good support
of open-source here at the ASF and elsewhere has a problem with this.

> Copyright assignment may be the best option available, but it is a
> significant departure from how the ASF has historically operated, not
> the other way around.

That's certainly true - what is also true is that is how we thought we
were operating.  Turns out, that's not true.  But we can fix that.

geir

geirm@apache.org