db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Joseph Grace <oc...@serv.net>
Subject Re: java1.4.2 "rws" mode fix: LogToFile.java diff
Date Sat, 04 Sep 2004 07:02:46 GMT
Three clarifications (mea culpa) on my previous post.

On Sep 3, 2004, at 6:33 PM, Joseph Grace wrote:
> However, I have experimented and discovered that "rwd" works (on OSX),
> while "rws" does not work.  The only difference appears to be that
> "rws" writes metadata in addition to the content.  Hmm...

1.  I need to be more specific.  I'm talking specifically about testing
(a subset of) the Derby code using "rws" (access content and metadata).
  "rws" results in "File not found" under OSX when trying to reopen an
existing file (even though it seems to work on other platforms) under
some not well defined circumstance.  This is the bug/issue which
started this thread, but it's not clear where to place blame (OSX JVM,
Derby, or blameless ambiguity of
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/io/RandomAccessFile.html).

2.  However it is interesting that, under the same not well defined
circumstance, "rwd" does work on OSX which may provide the desired
multiplatform workaround.  That's what my patch does.

3.  I should mention however that I'm not sure about relative
performance ramifications of the latest patches as I don't have a good
sense of the performance issues to begin with as the pertain to the
"rw", "rws", and "rwd" approaches.  If someone could sanity check these
alternatives from a performance perspective, I'd appreciate it
(assuming the "rwd" patch even makes sense).

Cheers,

= Joe =