db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Joseph Grace <oc...@serv.net>
Subject Re: java1.4.2 "rws" mode - log write performance - OSX numbers
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:22:55 GMT
Suresh:

> Does Mac  OS  has concept of write cache enabling  ?   Numbers below
> are with write cache enabled/disabled ?

Yes, OSX has write cache enabling.  Presumably it's on by default
(though I admit to not knowing how to confirm that), so my numbers
include it.  That's why I ran the test under a variety of
circumstances.  Benchmarks are hard, and the numbers vary a lot, so I
flagged the variance.  I'm not sure what all the factors are, but I
believe your (implied) suspicion that cache'ing is one such factor.

= Joe =