db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts on a release?
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:05:05 GMT
Let me prod you to release one last time: I know of multiple people who 
need a strong embedded database, who for various reasons cannot use 
Axion (JDBC 1 prepared statements only), HSQLDB (no transaction 
isolation),  or McKoi (GPL). Snatch them up while its hot ;-)


On Sep 11, 2004, at 2:44 AM, Samuel Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> Hash: SHA1
> On Sep 10, 2004, at 1:50 PM, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
>> I think that in some ways a "baseline" release makes sense anyway 
>> regardless
>> of fixes - considering that Derby code is already in Production.
> I agree that a release of the current code can only be a positive 
> thing. It can only help to improve visibility of the project and ease 
> of use for users who are interested in using and deploying a 'blessed' 
> version of the code, and for developers to have a baseline on which to 
> work on bug fixes or submit features.
> Also, unless another committer is interested, I would like to 
> volunteer as release manager for the release.
> I think that the following issues need to be resolved before a 
> baseline Derby release can be made:
> 1 - resolve any remaining IP issues with the current code. As an 
> example, please see the "[PATCH] Change Copyright notice..." thread.
> 2 - Apply all currently pending bug fixes that have been posted to the 
> derby-dev mailing list that have consensus for being applied, once the 
> Derby committers are able to commit.
> 3 - Identify any remaining bugs that would be seen as showstoppers to 
> a baseline Derby release. What sorts of issues would prevent a release 
> from occurring? What sorts of issues would be allowed to get through 
> in this first release?
> 4 - A consensus is reached on the content and form of a Derby release. 
> What exactly will be released? Jars, javadoc, and HTML documentation? 
> How will it be packaged? In zip format? rpm? Are other package formats 
> desired or necessary?
> Please feel free to add to this list. I will try to keep track of 
> everyone's concerns as they are raised.
> andrew
> Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)
> iD8DBQFBQp7aDfB0XauCH7wRApPpAJ95OS7WWRj52IBtLVeFm90EbA5H/ACfaWbj
> 9D5b8Jhe9mddfjSUMJgWDR0=
> =fc73

View raw message