db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject JSR169 support
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:04:50 GMT

I'm going to look into completing JSR169 support for Derby.
JSR169 support is a subset of JDBC 3.0 for J2ME/CDC/Foundation and OSGi
ee.minimum platforms. J2ME/CDC/Foundation is the larger of the two main
Java 2 Micro Edition environments. OSGi ee.minimum is a subset of
J2ME/CDC/Foundation that does support the required classes for JSR169.
The current code does have some of the initial work.

The changes are basically to support additional JVM settings like the
support for JDK 1.3 and JDK 1.4 and in those environments, remove
dependency on J2SE classes or methods that do not exist.

Some of the issues I know about are

 - no java.math.BigDecimal - what to do about DECIMAL?
 - no java.sql.DriverManager (only DataSource api supported in JSR169)
 - no java.util.Observer & Observable
 - no java.text.MessageFormat
 - no java.util.Stack

I'll first try and come up a complete list of classes and methods that
Derby depends on that are not in each environment. Removing the
dependency on each should be fairly independent tasks, so others could
get involved.

Another issue is that I haven't been able to find a JSR169 api library
(jar file) to download. Downloading this would be required to build
Derby once these changes were made. Obviously any dependency on JSR169
jar file would not be committed until that jar file could be downloaded.

And if anyone has any concerns with Derby supporting JSR169, please
speak up.

Reference links

JDBC Optional Package for CDC/Foundation Profile (JSR169)

http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/download.html#cdcfp

J2ME/CDC/Foundation

http://java.sun.com/products/cdc/index.jsp
http://java.sun.com/products/foundation/index.jsp