db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Branching for stable releases?
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:43:07 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>The Apache DB guidelines has this section on branches
>
>[quote]
>Branches
>Groups are allowed to create a branch for release cycles, etc. They are
>expected to merge completely back with the main branch as soon as their
>release cycle is complete. All branches currently in use should be
>documented by the respective projects.
>[end-quote]
>[http://db.apache.org/source.html]
>
>I read that to mean that the branch only exists during the release
>process. I'm not sure that this works well for Derby.

You interpretation may be correct, but that would only mean the document
should be better written.  The only way I think it would be a valid
statement if it is interpreted as "all applicable patches committed to
the release branch should be ported to the trunk".  It makes sense to
leave a release branch available for quick updates for severe bugs or
security issues.

John McNally