db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby code copyright question
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:45:58 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I would like to see formal assignment of copyright to the ASF happen.
> The concept of (c) completely held by the ASF is what distinguishes us
> from pretty much everything else out there.  W/o that, I don't believe
> that we can relicense anything, as an example, without a specific
> side-agreement from each contributor for which a (c) is in the license
> or notice file.  That's an administrative headache I'm not interested  in.

You mean something like the following?

       Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions
       of this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
       recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual,
       worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
       copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
       publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute
       Your Contributions and such derivative works.

That's been included in the Software Grant and Contributor License
Agreements to date.

Hopefully, we can agree that the original contributor retains a
copyright on their original work.  In this case, I mean any copy of
CloudScape that existed prior to Derby.

Hopefully, we can agree that the ASF is free to assert a copyright on
any combined or derived works.  By that, I mean Derby.

The issue that we should be discussing whether the original copyright
holder has a right to license the code to the ASF conditional on a
NOTICE requirement.

- Sam Ruby