db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Derby code copyright question
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:02:12 GMT

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2004, at 4:27 AM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>> 2. the ibm copyright in the individual files gets replaced with
>>
>>     Apache Derby © Copyright 2004 The Apache Software Foundation.
>>     All rights reserved.
>>
>>    and reference to the apache licence added as described in
>>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#apply
>>
>> et vóilà!  that item can then get checked off the incubation goal list
>> and we can focus on *real* code issues. :-)
>

> No, it does not.  It means the code in the individual files is not
> licensed under the AL2.  It means that if someone wants to take an
> individual function out of an individual file and add it to their
> wizz-bang programmable dog, they have to ask permission from IBM.
>
> In short, their is no F*ing way this is going into code at the ASF.
>
> The copyright notice in the file has to say THIS FILE MAY BE COPIED
> under the terms of the Apache License.  It cannot just say "Apache
> Derby" may be copied, since that name is not bound to any specific
> expression, and copyright notices that are not bound to an expression
> are null and void.
>
> ....Roy

Sorry, can you be clearer Roy. The file will contain the licencing terms
as described in the link Ken gives. That defines how the file may be
copied etc. Copyright and licencing are separate concepts. Can you
explain why having this text in the file does not allow any one to copy
a individual method or the complete file?
[Removing the incorrect All Rights Reserved]

Apache Derby © Copyright 2004 The Apache Software Foundation.

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
   You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.

Dan.