db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Hlavaty <hla...@code.cz>
Subject Re: SQL/DDL Limitations (and DB2)
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:48:54 GMT
I think it is responsibility of the database application authors to
account for any such limits of databse they intend to later upgrade to.
They don't need to be forced to limit the names - they should know what
they are doing. We should not limit others that don't intend to upgrade
to these databases at all because of someone else might want to upgrade
to database with severe limitations - otherwise we would end up
implementing only the least common denominator of functionality. And
thats not a way to bring progress ;-)
It is not our fault that database vendors sabotaged the standards in
order to remain exclusive and keep customers that would otherwise
happily migrate to other databases that suit them better.
Extending the allowed names length to SQL limits of 128 wont break any
existing applications that use Derby/Cloudscape.
We should do it.