db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathy Saunders <ka...@Source-Zone.com>
Subject Re: SQL/DDL Limitations (and DB2)
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:31:44 GMT
In my opinion Derby should make decisions based on what is the best
thing for the Derby project, not just how it works with DB2.  The
proposal for submitting Derby to Apache at
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_proposal.html talks about
promoting a standards-based, database-agnostic approach to application
development.  I believe that we should be sure changes we make adhere to
standards.  So, I believe that you should go ahead and submit the
"patch".  As it changes functionality, I see it more of an enhancement
which may require a vote, but I'm still learning about the process.

Having said that, you should note that the decision was made to make
Cloudscape DB2 compatible prior to IBM's decision to contribute the code
to Apache.  Much of this work was done before the Apache decision was
made.  There may be places where reasonable adjustments can be made
within standards guidelines, assuming the Derby community agrees.  I
personally believe that we should maintain general compatibility with
enterprise databases, including Oracle, Sybase, Informix, DB2 etc,.
where possible.  The standards position should help.  I agree with Jason
that transition flags would be a painful way to go.

Kathy