db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Integrating Derby and Hibernate
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:26:11 GMT
Joel Rosi-Schwartz wrote:

> First, though, I think that it might interest the Derby community to know that
> there is now a DerbyDialect for Hibernate. It was contributed by Simon
> Johnston and can be found at
> http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HB-1224. While this
> is not yet an official part of the Hibernate release, I have been pounding on
> it pretty hard for the past two days and I am satisfied that it is good
> enough for me to start writing code against. It will probably mature when the
> Hibernate team gets to looking at Derby officially. I believe that they are
> waiting for an official release from Apache. Personally I think it would be a
> nice if someone from the team officially contacted Gavin to form a working
> relationship. IMHO, having a sound integration would be a real win-win
> proposition.
>
> My environment is Cloudscape 10 beta, Hibernate 2.1.6 and Java 1.4.2_04,
> running on w2k.

That's great to have the initial Hibernate/Derby integration. Pre-built
jars are now available on the Derby site so I hope the integration will
use the Derby driver and JDBC URL names, rather than the temporary names
from tech preview (beta) IBM Cloudscape release.

> The issue is the length limitation of 18 characters that Derby imposes on
> foreign key constraint names. This is not an issues if one is writing a new
> schema, but existing schemas and hibernate's auto generation of FK names do
> cause a problem. Is there anyway to adjust this dynamically (I rather doubt
> it) or is this essentially a enhancement request?  The IBM Cloudscape
> Reference Manual indicates that a similar 18 character limit applies to
> index, function and trigger names. Are these also areas that might cause
> portability issues?

This would be a enhancement request, internally Derby can support up to
128 characters for identifiers.

In the mean time can Hibernate address the issue as it does for DB2
(assuming it does :-), since DB2 has the same limits?

Dan.