db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Rimmer <jrim...@irth.net>
Subject Re: SQL/DDL Limitations (and DB2)
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:34:26 GMT
	While a reasonable suggestion on its face adoption puts Derby on a
slippery slope.  Why favor DB2?  Why not add transition flags for any
'enterprise-class' database such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, Sybase,
Informix, and what the heck SQL Server, MySQL, and Firebird as well?
The tracking of versions and capabilities alone introduces maintenance
issues of the most enjoyable variety.
	No, Derby should be its own database.  Better yet, if the developer
base so determines Derby could be an 'enterprise-class' database
rivaling any previously listed.  I don't see where political sensitivity
even enters the equation.  While I certainly appreciate and am grateful
for IBM's contribution of Derby's original source, in order for the
project to flourish it will have to determine a destiny of its own.
(Though I understand that such a determination could lead to the
maintenance of these DB2 compatibility flags).
	If you love it, set it free.

--
Jason Rimmer
jrimmer at irth dot net