db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Rayl <er...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: JDBC 2.0 Updatable Result Sets api
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:13:37 GMT

>I am looking at implementing JDBC 2.0 Updatable Result Sets API. Derby
>already supports updatable cursors which allows updating data using SQL but  there is
no
>support for updating rows in a result set using JDBC 2.0 API.
>
>I am thinking of using existing updatable cursors code internally to
>implement JDBC apis for updatable resultsets. Also, I am planning on working in phases
with
>first providing support for updates, then delete and lastly insert. Will provide more
details as I
>make progress but in the mean time, please let me know if you have any comments/feedback
on the
>feature.

I for one will be happy to see this addition, since I am using Derby as
one of three databases in new JDBC courseware.  The other two, MySQL and
Oracle, support this feature; but neither one could be shipped as part
of the labs.

I have also found problems when using Derby with JdbcRowSetImpl used in
Sun's Tiger implementation, even though CachedRowSetImpl seems to work
fine.  I mentioned this in an earlier email.

Ed