db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Rayl <er...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Issue with Network Server port number
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:01:26 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

>>this port anymore? Anyone on the list from Oracle or have Oracle
>>contacts? Maybe Oracle would re-assign the port to ASF for Derby?
>>
>>Dan.
>>

>In a quick search,  I did tend to see it in configuration examples e.g.
>http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/discoverer/pdf/4i_generic_connectivity.pdf
>and there seem to be a lot of oracle forum questions like "I have a
>database server listening on port 1527".  Can't seem to find it now but
>the other day I saw some Oracle document that said something like "Use
>an Oracle registered port such as 1527."
>
>It would be nice if they would give it up, but I think probably not.

I worked for Oracle for 7 years.  Port 1521 is the only one you should
be really concerned about.  Port 1526 is considered the secondary backup
port for the listener.  I really believe the reference to port 1527 in
the document above is a typographical error, and should have been 1521.
I have never once hear of 1527 being used by Oracle or any of its customers.

Your use of port 1527 should be a non-issue to Oracle users.

Ed