db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby code copyright question
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:13:35 GMT
On the off chance there is any interest in prior art, let me point out
that contained at the beginning of most Xerces source files (an example
link is provided below) is the following:

/*
  * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
  * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation and was
  * originally based on software copyright (c) 1999, International
  * Business Machines, Inc., http://www.apache.org.  For more
  * information on the Apache Software Foundation, please see
  * <http://www.apache.org/>.
  */

That being said, it is my opinion that it is in the best interests of
both IBM and the ASF for such notices to NOT be present.  For reasons
only tangentally related to the explicit statement of copyright, the
incubation of Xerces as a true community literally took years.  One of
the key factors in this was the lingering perception that Xerces was
owned and operated by IBM.  We should seek to avoid anything which would
reinforce such a perception from being formed around Derby.

- Sam Ruby

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-xerces/java/src/org/apache/xerces/impl/XMLNamespaceBinder.java?rev=1.32&view=markup