db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Change Copyright notice to ASF
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:00:18 GMT
Jalud Abdulmenan wrote:

> However, we
>are including the IBM copyright statement line, to achieve consensus
>while abiding by ASF copyright guidelines.

In all previous instances that I am aware of code that has been donated
to the ASF, previous copyright declarations have been dropped.  IBM
still does have a version of the files in which they have copyright, but
the copyright holder for the files in a ASF repository is the ASF.

I'm pretty sure there is legal reasoning behind the way I've seen it
done in the past, but I don't really know what those reasons are.  I
think it probably makes sense to clarify if either option 1 or option 2
are really acceptable before continuing the vote.  But if not, please do
so before actually performing the work.

John McNally