db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Change Copyright notice to ASF
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:56:29 GMT
Jalud Abdulmenan wrote:

> With regard to changing the copyright notices, the only issue to resolve
> is to change or not the copyright notices in the source code files.
>
> To resolve the issue the Apache way, I propose a consensus approval
> vote. We can collate the result next Wednesday September 28.
>
> [ ]  Option 1: All source code files will only have the following
> copyright statement.
>      CCCC-YYYY are the years found on each file

[example snipped]

> [ ]  Option 2: All source code files will keep the existing copyright
> notices.

I don't think this vote is clear, there is no example for option 2 so
it's hard to tell exactly what we are voting for.

It seems like you are saying the existing IBM notices for licence and
copyright should remain. I don't think anyone has proposed that. I have
been saying that the single IBM copyright statement should remain in the
form that IBM wrote, since it is defining a copyright owned by IBM.
Thus my example would be

/*
 *
 * (C) Copyright IBM Corp. CCCC, YYYY.
 * Copyright  2004 The Apache Software Foundation.
 *
 *  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
 *  you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
 *  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
 *  distributed under the License is distributed on an ""AS IS"" BASIS,
 *  WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
 *  See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
 *  limitations under the License.
 *
 */

Maybe the exact form doesn't matter, maybe it does?
Can someone re-format an existing copyright notice to their own style?

Dan.