db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Hlavaty <hla...@code.cz>
Subject Re: COMMENT statement
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:14:16 GMT
On the contrary, I think we don't need this ;-)

The fact that some other database has a feature does not imply we must
have it too. Adding a feature should be justified.

Think of it this way - what is it good for? Who and how would use it?

Comments on schema objects are good for someone that:
1) can get into the schema in the first place, so is DBA or interactive
SQL user with direct access to database
2) does not know the schema well enough
3) cannot get regular documentation about the schema

Who is the guy that meets all these requirements? A hacker who broke
into your database using SQL injection ;-)

Just my 2c.

Jan