db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathy Saunders <ka...@Source-Zone.com>
Subject Re: IBM DB2 JDBC Universal Driver now available
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:15:44 GMT

> Kathy
>
> Thanks for clarifying the redistribution issue - that goes a long way
> to help. However, there may be a few people who don't wish to or may
> be unable to redistribute it - the ASF is likely to be one of those.
>
> Is there anything (e.g. IP constraints on the protocol) that would
> hinder the independent development of a alternative, open source,
> network driver?
>
> --
> Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I certainly understand that an open source solution is preferable.  By
all means, someone can develop an alternative, open source, network
driver.  The Network Server is open source and speaks DRDA.  So, someone
can certainly develop an open source driver to talk to the network
server.  Or, someone could pursue another solution completely if the
community agrees that's best.  If you or someone else is interested, I
suggest you make a proposal on the dev mail list about how to proceed.
There are members of the community who are familiar with DRDA if you
need information on that route.

Kathy