db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Clarification of Apache DB Project guideline for submitting docs and patches
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:59:53 GMT
Whether the CLA is a requirement is not absolute, there is room for
judgement by the committer(s).  Any donation of substantial new code
should not be accepted without a CLA.  A patch that fixes a defect and
only affects a couple of lines of code does not require a CLA.
If you have an individual that contributes many such small patches
though, it is not a bad idea to ask that they submit a CLA.

In general error toward the side of requiring it before the code goes
into cvs, but there is no need to be so overzealous that you have to
turn away perfectly good bug fixes, that are probably going to have to
be fixed in a way very similar to the contributed patch anyway, just
because the person that took the time to put together the patch does not
wish to sign a document and fax it.

John McNally