db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <tsur...@Source-Zone.org>
Subject Re: java1.4.2 "rws" mode - log write performance - OSX numbers
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:40:34 GMT
Joseph Grace wrote:

> Suresh:
>> Does Mac  OS  has concept of write cache enabling  ?   Numbers below
>> are with write cache enabled/disabled ?
> Yes, OSX has write cache enabling.  Presumably it's on by default
> (though I admit to not knowing how to confirm that), so my numbers
> include it.  That's why I ran the test under a variety of
> circumstances.  Benchmarks are hard, and the numbers vary a lot, so I
> flagged the variance.  I'm not sure what all the factors are, but I
> believe your (implied) suspicion that cache'ing is one such factor.
> = Joe =

Yes, trying to find out the write cache factor in  "rws"/"rwd"
performance numbers.  What I observerd is on Win2k  i
when write cache is enabled  "rws" mode  does not seem to sync
immediately to the disk unlike FileDescriptor.sync();  I think  this
is ok  because user  has chosen the write cache enabling option.  When
write cache is disabled on windows the "rws" mode
write does seem to perform the sync.(Note: On JDK141 sycn does not
happen this case also).

 I don't  have much knoweledge of jvm internals ,  but if the expected
behaviour  jvm on  MAC OS  is similar
 to Windows,  write performance numbers in "rws/rwd"  mode won't  be
accurate when  write cache is enabled.
I also don't know how to disable the write cache on Mac.  Can't really
say "rws" does not sync for sure  on Mac
unless the write cache is disabled.

View raw message