db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:12:11 GMT

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Ken, obviously as you know I'm new to Apache voting and so I'm not
> really understanding your post.
> The first question is are you starting a new vote or trying to add an
> item to the vote I started?

neither, actually.  :-)  as podling mentor, i'm providing advice based
on my experience.  the db project has a documented and designed disparity
between the pmc and the committer list.  during incubation, podlings
emulate pmc operation and become familiar with it via a 'ppmc' list.
i am suggesting that the derby podling adopt a policy that all committers
are automatically on the ppmc.

i bring this up because i think the db project pages could be viewed as
recommending that the members of the ppmc be a subset of the committer

> The second is, are you voting on your issue only, or voting for the
> issue I started the vote on? The URL after your vote is confusing me as
> I would guess the appropriate URL for "my" vote would be
> http://db.apache.org/guidelines.html.

i am not voting; i am a mentor only, and a committer only by courtesy during
incubation.  if/when derby graduates, i expect i will no longer be a committer,
which is appropriate since i don't know java and certainly not a db in java.
the podling needs to be self-defining; it's part of my function to help that
happen.  i *don't* think it's part of my job to try to steer it by voting.

the point i raise may not be considered directly relevant to the issue being
voted, but i mention it because it's related.  i don't think emulating *all*
of the db project procedures is necessarily appropriate during incubation,
since subsetting for the ppmc could be a barrier to community building.

> Sorry if these are dumb questions.

no dumb questions.  ignorance is curable.  i only hope i have some
appropriate medicine. :-)
- --
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"